Monday, October 18, 2010

Contender

The other morning my father asks me a strange question..  "Are you a Contender or a Pretender?

This caused many questions to arise. What does it mean? Is this a literal question or is it related to something else? Is this for me or for me to ask some one else or possibly both?

So I start with what is a contender?

Webster's dictionary says one that contends. Especially a competitor for a championship or high honor.

What does it mean to contend?

Webster says: to strive or vie in a contest against rivalry or against other difficulties.

Next let's look at Pretender..

Webster says a pretender is someone who lays claim to something that is already someone elses.

To Pretend: means to put forward to profess or claim falsely.

Wow all this hits me like a ton of bricks. Why would my father ask me this? What is the meaning of this?

Are we contenders? What are we fighting for? What we wrestle against and for whose honor?

Do we really fight or do we just pretend? Doing that two step forward, one step backwards dance that really gets us nowhere?

Do we fight for the things of this world or do we fight for his Kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment